If Disaster Strikes, When Will You Need Extra Coverage?

You can’t say that your home is always going to be able to withstand damage. Sometimes there’s events that can happen that are entirely out of your control, such as a natural disaster. When a weather catastrophe strikes, what do you do? That’s when your insurance kicks in. But sometimes just one baseline policy isn’t enough, and you need additional coverage.

Standard homeowners policies cover a plethora of issues, but there are some things that aren’t covered. That’s when extra coverage comes into play. Policies heavily vary, meaning it’s important that you check yours to see what kind of coverage you’re being offered. If disaster strikes, when will you need extra coverage? This blog hopes to clear up all questions you may have about your homeowners insurance and when you’re covered.

Disasters That Are Not Covered

There’s multiple policies that one can have for their insurance. However, these sole disasters are not covered by any of them and require their own special coverage. Disasters that are not covered include:

  1. Floods – Renters insurance and home insurance policies may cover fires, but they don’t cover floods. You’ll need flood insurance for that. At least five extreme rainfall events, defined by the 1,000-year rainfall metric, have happened in the Rockies in the past year. Flooding is happening more often these days and one should be ready for it. Separate flood coverage is available through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and from a few private insurers, including ISU Olson Duncan.
  2. Earthquakes – Earthquakes happen in California consistently, and it’s more important than ever to be prepared for the big one. Earthquakes are another thing that are not covered under a standard policy. But earthquake insurance is readily available from most insurance companies as a separate policy or an endorsement to your homeowners or renters policy.
  3. Maintenance damage – Since it’s your home, it’s your job to upkeep it. If you don’t, the impact could end up being the growth of mold or infestation from termites or other pests. Lack of upkeep is no joke, and your insurer takes it seriously. These things, known as maintenance damage, are not typically covered under a home insurance policy.
  4. Sewer backup – Sewer backups are generally not covered through homeowners insurance or flood insurance, meaning that you’re going to have to get a separate policy for it. This type of coverage has to be purchased as a separate product or as an endorsement to a homeowners policy, usually at a nominal cost.


About ISU / The Olson Duncan Agency

At ISU – The Olson Duncan Agency, our goal is to provide clients with a total solution, not just a quote or a contract. We provide businesses and individuals with insurance and risk management solutions, and we aim to provide real value and build trustworthy, long-term relationships with our clients. To learn more about our services, give us a call today at (310) 373-6441 to speak with one of our professionals.